Sunday, October 7, 2012

Do You See Dead People? In your dreams, I mean?

There are many ways to interpret dreams of meeting or talking with people who in real life have passed on. I recall a cousin who was rather alarmed to report a dream to her grandmother in which she had met someone that she knew had passed on years before. She was told not to worry, that just means you will meet someone that you have not seen for a long time. That interpretation seemed to work for her, so I won't belabor that instance. But there are other ways to interpret it and the only way to know what your dream symbols mean is to pay attention to clues in the specific dream. Often people find that their dream symbols mean something very different from the same symbol in someone else's dream. Wilda Tanner writes in her book, the Mystical Magical Marvelous World of Dreams about communicating with the dead in dreams: “Many people have had the dream experience of meeting and talking to people we think of as “dead”. This is quite commonplace, since their spiritual bodies are on the same (astral) plane where you and I travel every night; so it is perfectly natural that you should run into them from time to time. This is a frequent occurrence in dreams and nothing to be alarmed about. It is possible in dreams or in prayer, to ask forgiveness or give it, and to work out matters we were not ready or able to resolve before their departure. Or we can simply have a nice visit. Don't be surprised to find that months or years after a death, a dream may point out something which has not yet been forgiven, released or worked out between you. This may seem minor to you but can be a blockage to the progress of your loved one, so it's best to take the matter seriously and take time to cooperate in whatever seems necessary.”* I have several experiences of dreaming of people who have passed on. One was rather funny in the choice of venue: it was at an airport terminal. I met with my father and an uncle, both of whom had passed on, plus my mother who was still living. Everyone was just very happy to be able to get together and chat a bit. One that was rather puzzling was the dream in which my late mother wanted to move in with me, so I had to start looking for a larger apartment where she could have a room. Finally after waking up I realized how ludicrous this was. She's DEAD, I told myself. She doesn't NEED a room! The meaning of this dream still eludes me. I had one or two soon after my father passed on that were possible examples of communication with the dead. In one, I had a car that was having problems getting up the hills in a snowstorm. I kept trying to go up a hill in our neighborhood but the car kept slipping back down. It turns out that two of the tires were very low in air. I talk with my dad and he was trying to explain something. When I woke, I felt that he was trying to tell me died because he was “too tired” (two tired) to go on. * from Mystical Magical Marvelous World of Dreams, Wilda Tanner, 1988, Sparrow Hawk Press, Tahlequah, OK, page 180. ISBN 0-945027-02-8.

No comments: