Sunday, October 7, 2012

Got My Lil' Blue Voter Card This Week, YAY! Now I'm Official

I finally filled out a new voter registration application a couple weeks ago and sent it in. So yesterday was a great day because I received my little blue voter card in the mail. It gives my name/address, the polling place building name and address, the congressional and senate and house district numbers, a precinct number, even the school district number. A website and phone number are also kindly provided, in case you have questions about how to get there or what hours the polls are open. Surprisingly, the polling place is a church. That is a new one for me because heretofore all my polling places have been grade schools. Was there supposed to be separation of church and state, except for where you vote? Well, I am not going to question it if they have enough parking for everyone. If any readers out there still need to register, there is probably same-day registration in your state, but it is is helpful to do it ahead of time if you have any uncertainty about where your polling place is. Also if you need to assemble your required ID, the application lists the acceptable forms of identification. They are: State Driver's License: This includes a learner's permit or state ID card or the receipt for one. Tribal ID. The ID number of your Driver's License, US Passport, Tribal ID, State ID card, US Military ID, or Student ID. This is in case you are awaiting a replacement card or something, but have your copy of the order or receipt. Other Photo ID plus either a Utility Bill, State Fee Statement, or Student Fee Statement. Then there is a category of proofs that do not involve a current ID or utility bill. They are: Vouched for. Someone in the same home or a neighbor vouches that you live at said address. Late Notice. I am not sure what this is; could be a late notice re property taxes, or the library. Previous Registration in the Same Precinct. (if you moved only a few blocks away from your old address) Student ID with College List. I presume this means if you are not currently enrolled, or on student break, since a current Student ID alone is sufficient identification. I should mention one more thing: In some states, a pilot's license or other specialized licenses are acceptable proofs of identification. You will have to check your own state regulations on that. A pilot's license was acceptable when I lived in Wisconsin, tho I never met a pilot when I was registering people at the polls. I hope everyone who wants to vote, can get to the polls and do so this November. There are plenty of volunteer drivers who cart people to their polling station on election day for those who do not drive and cannot walk the distance anymore. Call your local party office or campaign office to be put in touch with the volunteer organizer.

No comments: